Check out this year's Recommended Reads - the year's most popular books selected by EHS students:
Esquimalt High School's Library program helps students, staff and members of the community develop a love of reading and the information and thinking skills we all need to succeed in school and as lifelong learners.
See below for more information about library hours, use during class time, borrowing periods, return policy, and audio-visual services.
We want to know...
Want to recommend a book you've enjoyed or a great website?
We welcome your comments and suggestions.
Drop by the library, phone 382-9226 extension 240 or send us an email.
Esquimalt High School's Library program's goals are to:
- promote literacy through recreational reading;
- support resource-based teaching and learning;
- encourage critical thinking;
- develop information literacy skills;
- facilitate the sophisticated use of information and communication technology throughout the school.
The library staff supports these goals by:
- Collaborating on the design and teaching of research lessons and units;
- Helping students find appealing reading materials and useful information during and outside of class time;
- Managing the library’s collection of over 16000 items, including books, newspapers, magazines, videos, government documents, digital recordings, as well as items in a variety of other media;
- Coordinating access to information through online services available anywhere, anytime.
Hours & Library Use During Classes
The library is open before classes, during breaks and lunch as well as after school, Monday through Friday. During classes students may use the library on their own when provided with a library pass by a teacher. Students in grades 11 & 12 may arrange an Excused Spare by talking to a school counsellor, AND submitting a Study Hall Excused form to the Study Hall.
Fiction and Non-Fiction....10 school days
Reference, Magazines......By 8:20 am next day
DVDs, Videos, Reserves....Use in library
AV Equipment, etc..........Ask staff
As well as library items, all school textbooks are circulated through the library. All students are issued a special student card marked with a barcode to enable them to borrow items from the library.
Renew items before they are due if you need them longer than the initial loan period.
Due dates are stamped on all items when loaned.
Lists of overdue items are circulated to TA weekly.
If you do not return or renew items before they are due you will not be allowed to borrow anything from the library until the overdue items are returned or renewed.
Computers, video cameras, digital cameras, tripods, video/data projectors, tape recorders, slide projectors, film projectors, overhead and opaque projectors, earphones, microphones, and slide viewers are available for loan and/or use in the library.
An Audio-Visual room is available for students to make sound recordings, videos or watch videos and listen to sound recordings for class assignments.